Is it a commentary on the lack of value in higher education? Or is it about the job market not taking advantage of the talent surplus in the labor pool? Are there corporate, government, or entrepreneurial opportunities being missed because job creators are not taking risks?
As Liz and other faculty and staff get ready to welcome the class of 2016, here are a few of the more striking notes on this year’s “mindset list” from Beloit College.
- They have never seen an airplane “ticket.”
- There has always been football in Jacksonville but never in Los Angeles.
- Their folks have never gazed with pride on a new set of bound encyclopedias on the bookshelf.
- A significant percentage of them will enter college already displaying some hearing loss.
- They have lived in an era of instant stardom and self-proclaimed celebrities, famous for being famous.
- They have had to incessantly remind their parents not to refer to their CDs and DVDs as “tapes.”
- There have always been blue M&Ms, but no tan ones.’
- While the iconic TV series for their older siblings was the sci-fi show Lost, for them it’sBreaking Bad, a gritty crime story motivated by desperate economic circumstances.
- Pulp Fiction’s meal of a “Royale with Cheese” and an “Amos and Andy milkshake” has little or no resonance with them.